The Commission Challenge
I don’t know about other artists but I find the challenge of completing a commission both an exciting and anxious process. I seem to go through a similar cycle each time:
- The Commission
- There’s the wonderful buzz of someone approaching you to do a piece of work for them.
- This is shortly followed by the business of costing and then the nervous negotiation over price and timescale
- The production of the work is great exciting and it is reassuring to know it has already been bought. However you are reasonably pressurized in a way normally you would not be. Sometimes I have left work for over a year before getting back to it!
- Once complete there is the rush to send it off and say goodbye to your work. Usually my work will be around a little while before it sells and so I am used to building a relationship with it!
- Then there is the anxious time praying your hard work will arrive safely and most of all your client will be happy with it!!